This is the Democracy Chronicles privacy page
Website Terms and Conditions of Use
By accessing this web site, you are agreeing to be bound by these web site Terms and Conditions of Use, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local
laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing this site. The materials contained in this web site are protected by applicable copyright and trade mark law.
2. Use License
- Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials (information or software) on Democracy Chronicles’s web site for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
- modify or copy the materials;
- use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
- attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on Democracy Chronicles’s web site;
- remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
- transfer the materials to another person or “mirror” the materials on any other server.
- This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by Democracy Chronicles at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.
- The materials on Democracy Chronicles’s web site are provided “as is”. Democracy Chronicles makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, Democracy Chronicles does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its Internet web site or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.
In no event shall Democracy Chronicles or its suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to business interruption,) arising out of the use or inability to use the materials on Democracy Chronicles’s Internet site, even if Democracy Chronicles or a Democracy Chronicles authorized representative has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties, or limitations of liability for consequential or incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
5. Revisions and Errata
The materials appearing on Democracy Chronicles’s web site could include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. Democracy Chronicles does not warrant that any of the materials on its web site are accurate, complete, or current. Democracy Chronicles may make changes to the materials contained on its web site at any time without notice. Democracy Chronicles does not, however, make any commitment to update the materials.
Democracy Chronicles has not reviewed all of the sites linked to its Internet web site and is not responsible for the contents of any such linked site. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by Democracy Chronicles of the site. Use of any such linked web site is at the user’s own risk.
8. Governing Law
Any claim relating to Democracy Chronicles’s web site shall be governed by the laws of the State of New York without regard to its conflict of law provisions.
General Terms and Conditions applicable to Use of a Web Site.
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
We want you to feel at home when you post a comment on Democracy Chronicles. We want everyone to feel at home posting comments on Democracy Chronicles. We don’t know what your home is like, but we know how we expect people to behave when they visit ours. That’s why we reserve the right to delete comments and ban users as needed to keep the comment threads here civil and substantive.
Our No. 1 house rule is simple: Don’t be a jerk.
Want to be the kind of commenter we’d love to bring home to Thanksgiving dinner? Here’s what we like to see in comments:
- Weigh in with smart, informed ideas that contribute further to the story.
- Give us useful, constructive criticism. Spot a typo or an error? Let us know and we will correct it.
- Demonstrate and share the intelligence, wisdom, and humor we know you possess.
- Don’t feed the trolls.
Although we can’t be everywhere at once, here are some of the kinds of comments we’re going to do our best to curtail:
- Promoting your own brand, product, or blog. So you’ve got a climate change solution that will simultaneously solve world poverty. Great. Send it through our contact form.
- Impersonating authors or other commenters. We can’t believe we have to say this, but: Don’t do that.
- Comments that are completely out of left field. Sometimes discussions veer off a bit, but are still related to the original subject. That is fine. Hijacking the conversation to promote off-topic commentary is not.
- Threats — no matter how vague — against the author or other commenters. Things can get heated. Before you casually mention your foe’s home address, stop and don’t.
- Racism, sexism, homophobia, you get the drift. Don’t say we didn’t warn you that this will get you banned or deleted.
- Trolling. If you’re not contributing meaningfully to the conversation, we’ll be pushing you back under the bridge.
See us on Facebook and connect with our community!