Niall Stanage returns to the swirling troubles around President Trump, reporting that they got deeper this week thanks to a series of missteps.
TOWARDS BETTER DEMOCRACY EVERYWHERE. FOUNDED 2011.
Trump has awarded next year’s G-7 to his Miami Doral resort. Common Cause says this compounds Trump’s Emoluments Clause violations.
Federal court yesterday ruled right to vote cannot be denied on account of wealth. Plaintiffs challenged Florida law creating wealth-based voting hurdles.
Trump confirmed Energy Secretary Rick Perry, whose dealings with Ukraine have become a focus of the House impeachment inquiry, will step down.
White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney Thursday said security assitance to Ukraine was unconditional, walking back earlier statements.
Insider reported Thursday that 8 Trump officials made revelations about how President Trump and and lawyer Rudy Giuliani “weaponized the State Department”.
Common Cause conveyed a release today recognizing and honoring Jowei Chen, Jonah Knobler, Richard H Pildes, and Caroline Mackie as “Defenders of Democracy”.
Elijah Cummings (D-Md) died Thursday at 68 from “complications concerning longstanding health challenges”. Republicans and Democrats paid their tributes.
Andrew Sullivan discusses the future of American democracy on this week’s episode of the Democracy Works podcast.
In contravention to orders, people around Trump are done taking orders and the dam is bursting as a flurry of officials step up to testify.
- New study shows links between Russian tweets and the release of hacked emails
- Is President Trump fast becoming a GOP cult leader, strong man?
- Tough time ahead for Republicans as Capitol Hill resumes Tuesday
- At Louisiana rally, Trump chases lambasting of impeachment inquiry
- Unified Republican strategy in response to impeachment inquiry pending
- “Trump expletive language” problem: “Another Break With Presidential Decorum”
- Report: Giuliani Under Investigation for Possible Lobbying Violations
- Texas Clinton-nominee Judge David Briones blocks Trump border wall
- Ukrainegate: indictments of Giuliani agents troubling picture of foreign money in US elections
- Trump Adviser backpedaling on having received information from China about Biden
“The British Parliament Saturday passed a measure to delay a decision on Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal, dealing a blow to the British leader.”
Following a Whatsapp tax Lebanese pursued protests Friday over mismanagement of crisis and political corruption. They demand the fall of the Hariri regime.
Results of new Pew Research Center survey in 14 EU states and USA indicate American and European values sometimes vary on key areas affecting their lives.
“China’s Muslim Uighurs face systematic oppression. Their…province…Xinjiang is a police state – an estimated one million of them…detained in camps…”
2018/19 AmericasBarometer results presented Tuesday, Oct. 15, at the Wilson Center in Washington DC show slide in support for democracy in the Americas.
Article revisits Ukrainian democracy and its journey to prominence in Eastern Europe. The article views corruption as a major threat to Ukraine’s democracy.
Nobel Peace Prize should serve as reminder to winner, Ethiopian PM, Abiy Ahmed, that he must not depart from national and regional democratic reforms.
Nobel Peace Price winner Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed gave his first interview to a Western media, VOA, in late May 2019. Here are the highlights.
3 years after separatist conflict started, repression is still preferred by Cameroon going as far as attacking the Bafut Royal Palace a World Heritage site.
On Sudan’s transition, expert opinion raises the question of whether Nigeria’s militarised democratic experiment should serve as a lesson.
- Nigeria’s Militarised Democratic Experiment: lessons for Sudan?
- Tunisia Democracy: shadow of Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali lurks
- The Promise of 1989: What went wrong? Time for a second liberation?
- Dictatorship vs Democracy: NBA Crouching Down to Chinese tyranny!
- United Nations: Act Now to End the Senseless Killings in the English-speaking regions of Cameroon!
- Governments ask Facebook to ease backdoor for law enforcement agencies
- Democratic renewal: An ideological dimension to great power competition
- Hopes of freedoms and human rights dashed in Cuba
- Reasons why political Islam is a threat to democratic gains in Tunisia
- Iran: Schools Shut Out Children with Disabilities