President Biden passed the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act Thursday, making June 19 a federal holiday for the first time.
TOWARDS BETTER DEMOCRACY EVERYWHERE. FOUNDED 2011.
Democrats should accept changes to the For the People Act proposed by Sen. Joe Manchin which he says could win his support, expert.
On Wednesday, Governor Greg Abbott (R) of Texas passed into law a new bill that places new restrictions on voter residency requirements.
In his memo on the For the People Act, Joe Manchin proposed as policy: “Ban partisan gerrymandering and use computer models.”
Public trust in American democracy is dwindling. Over 100 political scientists recently issued a warning aptly titled “Statement of Concern.”
Key experts argue that the filibuster’s arcane workings pose a threat because it increasingly is being used to block majority rule.
The insurgency is ongoing, and the next violent inflection will occur in the weeks after the release of the Arizona “audit” results.
The framers would have backed sweeping national election reforms. Madison argued Congress should check states on voting laws.
Restrictive voting bills by the GOP are simultaneously threatening disability voting rights and testing their nascent political influence.
- Texas Companies Reluctant To Take Sides On Voting Rights
- Congressional GOP Shrug at Warnings of Democracy in Peril
- 7 States Still Have Bans On Atheists Holding Office
- Exodus Of Election Officials Raises Concerns Of Partisanship
- Democratizing Power of the Social-Media Stock Market
- Death Threats Are Terrorizing Election Workers
- Ivy League Dominance Presents A Threat To Democracy
- No More Spying on Journalists
- Study Shows Strength, Weakness Of Tennessee Elections
- Iowa Enacts Second Voter Suppression Bill
China maintains its anti-democratic crackdown in Hong Kong. 500 police officers were sent Thursday to raid a pro-democracy newspaper.
Democracy is still not entirely possible in some areas, emphasizing the need for decentralized solutions capable of empowering individuals.
In the past, the decision to dissolve parliament was met with widespread opposition from Nepalese society and opposition parties.
During the pandemic, 29%of EU residents sought healthcare from well-connected friends or family, Transparency International survey.
A best-selling author has explained what has disrupted democracies and how local journalism may be the key to saving them.
Iranians often joke that Iran’s political system must be far more advanced than the one in the US but Iran’s democracy is shrinking.
The loss of control of Gaza by Hamas should underpin America’s strategy in the region in the coming years. How can this be won?
Official polls suggest record low turnout in Iran’s elections which beyond hardship and lack of choice reflects youth frustration.
While biometrics raised expectations among political opponents in Africa they do not prevent rigging and can sustain tyranny.
- The Productive Failures Of Biometric Voting In Africa
- Ethiopia’s Elections May Exacerbate Mistrust And Division
- Nicaragua’s Democracy Is Crumbling In Real Time
- A Case For Continued Election Observation In Africa
- Pakistan Pursuing An Unrelenting Assault On Journalism
- Algeria Election Sees Slow Turnout Amid Boycott
- South Africa Needs New Thinking For Its Democracy
- Hong Kong Activist Agnes Chow Released From Jail
- How Peru’s Electoral Drama Is Damaging Democracy
- The Need To Fix Jamaica’s Democracy