Trump violated State funding law by holding back Ukraine aid last year, a government watchdog agency concluded Thursday as Senate impeachment trial opens.
TOWARDS BETTER DEMOCRACY EVERYWHERE. FOUNDED 2011.
Thanks to generous early-voting laws Minnesota stands out for offering the first chance for any voter to cast a ballot in the 2020 presidential contest.
FBI will now notify state election officials about cyber breaches to election systems in their jurisdictions, even those that only affect a single county.
All states should adopt automatic voter registration, expand mail-in voting and use new auditing practices for accuracy of vote counts, bipartisan panel.
Speaker Nancy Pelosi sent articles of impeachment to Senate Wednesday, setting in motion the trial that determines if Trump would be removed from office.
Election server central to a legal battle over the integrity of Georgia elections showed signs that the original server was hacked.
Although Incirlik Airmen may be away from their home state they still have the ability to register and/or submit an absentee ballot this 2020 voting season.
Mike Bloomberg’s voting rights plan is to prevent voter suppression on the basis of inactivity, restore felon voting rights and add more federal observers.
While voting machines themselves are not designed to be online, the larger voting systems in many states end up there, putting the voting process at risk.
The National Security Agency and its British counterpart issued an unusual warning in October: The Russians were back and growing stealthier.
- ‘She’ goes missing from presidential language
- Voting Equipment Companies support enhanced disclosures
- Facebook will not limit or deter misrepresentations under new ad rules
- Election security officials are preparing for possible cyber retaliation by Iran
- Voters are the reason new “secure” voting machines are still at risk
- look ahead at ranked-choice voting in 2020
- Idealpolitik vs. Realpolitik: Idealism or ‘realism with a moral face’?
- What are the responsibilities of secretaries of state?
- Voting Rights will be the focus of Stacey Abrams’s new book
- Celebrity Stylist Justine Marjan launches “vote” bobby pin to increase voter turnout
A deeply ironic new law now allows South Africa to strip refugees of asylum status if they engage in any political activity related to their home countries.
A former high-ranking judge in Cuba joined an anti-government activist in revealing classified information showing the Cuban regime’s arbitrary detentions.
Accomplish workplace democracy and motivate your employees to be productive while at work.
Taiwan’s voters rebuked China’s rising authoritarianism Saturday by re-electing President Tsai Ing-wen, who vowed to preserve the island’s sovereignty.
Democracy Digest examines perspectives on the impact of, and how to counter violent extremism in fragile States, with focus on Burkina Faso and Iraq.
Can contemporary authoritarians be compared to 20th-century dictators? Not exactly, given incoherent ideology, mass violence and weak personality cult.
Ashley Quarcoo, an international development practitioner, probes Sudan’s trajectory to transition to democracy and possible inhibiting factors.
There is a call for proposals within the European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights designed to support civil society political reforms engagement.
Anti-Americanism today is less about the exercise of unrivaled U.S. power but more about a U.S. retreat from both global leadership and liberal democracy.
Lowy Institute argues that Taiwan’s election this weekend might be the most consequential for 2020, not US presidential election at the end of the year.
- Taiwan’s upcoming election probably the most consequential for 2020
- Support for civil society is a better way to advance democracy, not regime change
- Why the West is losing the fight for democracy
- Ukraine poised for a strong 2020: Is Zelensky succeeding?
- Setback for autocrats use of sharp power to subvert the West
- How news coverage gets geo-fragmented
- Mnangagwa Tells Angry Hungry Zimbabweans to Eat Vegetables
- China’s annus horribilis: Authoritarian turn ‘challenges the world’
- Africa Starts 2020 Battling Extremism, Ebola and Hunger
- Recession is just the natural order of things for self-regulating democracy