Legislation would create a civilian force of 50 to 100 professionals across the state who would work to prevent attacks and respond when they happen.
TOWARDS BETTER DEMOCRACY EVERYWHERE. FOUNDED 2011.
With a Monday deadline, it appears only two cities in Utah have signed up to participate in the ranked choice voting experiment.
The purpose of the new law is to incentivize candidates to seek small donations rather than chase big checks from lobbyists and special interests.
Individuals with lower voices are more likely to win and to win a larger vote share,” says University of Miami Associate Professor Casey Klofstad.
A number of organisations have issued a letter urging the legislature to reject a proposed bill that would have a chilling effect on voter registration.
Automatic voter registration (AVR) has increased the average registration rates in every state where it’s been implemented.
Whether felons completed time behind bars or probation should have their voting rights restored if they haven’t paid off all their financial obligations .
Ballot access laws are the main barrier to many potential candidates and Ohio is seeking to make the process more cumbersome.
Tribes denounce North Dakota identification law that led to poor access to discrimination by poll workers and unfair identification requirements.
Under AB 177, state agencies and schools would be required to give their employees Election Day off from work, and schools would close, to help voters.
- Assemblyman’s Election Day Holiday Bill Moves Ahead In California
- Social Media Artificially Exaggerating Political Polarization On Twitter
- Lawsuit Win Means Improving California Voter Registration Opportunities
- CRISIS: Voter Turnout Under 5% In 17 of 52 Local Illinois Precincts
- Case Against Julian Assange Raises Press Freedom Questions
- States Slow To Spend Election Security Funds, Report Finds
- Tennessee Bill Would Allow Some Local Instant Runoff Voting
- One Single Vote Cast For Elections In Small Missouri Town
- Why Blood Donors Are So Likely to Turnout to Vote
- Blockchain Voting: Unwelcome Disruption or Senseless Distraction?
A Brazilian court’s decision to sentence a comedian to prison for offensive remarks about a congresswoman could have a chilling effect on free speech.
Nicaragua must stop repression and release students, activists and journalists detained for exercising rights to freedom of expression and peaceful assembly
Saudi authorities should immediately release the prominent human rights lawyer Waleed Abu al-Khair, who was sentenced in 2014 to 15 years in prison.
Nicaragua’s government said Monday it will implement a program to guarantee the safe return of exiles, a proposal the opposition dismissed as “absurd.”
Sudan’s ruling military council says it has fired the country’s top prosecutor days after the military ousted autocratic president Omar al-Bashir.
Three decades since the death in 1989 of former prominent party official, Chinese liberal reformer Hu Yaobang triggered mass student demonstrations.
Sudanese woman in iconic protest images against President Omar al-Bashir said on Thursday she had received death threats since her image went viral.
The Russian government is drafting law that enable authorities to freeze bank accounts of people who donate to or finance protests that are deemed unlawful.
Sudan’s second new military leader in as many days accepted resignation of feared intelligence chief as he faced calls for swift handover to civilian rule.
On a cold night in February, residents of the battle-weary city of Srinagar woke up to the noise of fighter jets buzzing in the inky black skies.
- A Timeline of Key Events in Rule of Sudan’s al-Bashir
- Indonesia’s Jokowi Favored for Re-election
- Ukrainian President Arrives for Debate In Kyiv, Challenger Doesn’t
- Kim Jong Un Consolidates Power and Shuffles Leadership
- Al-Bashir Opponents Now Denounce Military Government
- What’s Next for Sudan After Bashir’s Fall?
- Islam Underlines Indonesian Election But that Doesn’t Make it a Threat
- Egypt Passes Law To Allow al-Sisi To Remain President Until 2030
- NRA Has History of Advising Gun-Rights Groups Outside US
- Tibet Dissident’s Long Jail Sentence Called ‘State Secret’