Trump has constantly lambasted mail-in voting in baseless conspiracy theory. Experts have however said the voting method is safe.
TOWARDS BETTER DEMOCRACY EVERYWHERE. FOUNDED 2011.
The Senate on Monday voted to confirm Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court, solidifying a conservative majority on the high court for a generation.
American professional sports owners have contributed nearly $47 million in federal elections since 2015, according to research by ESPN.
There is the amplification of false claims of fraud by conservative news sites. A new Harvard study describes it as a “propaganda feedback loop”.
Trump and Biden had their second and last presidential debate before the elections Thursday. There are a number of takeaways.
The Senate Judiciary Committee has approved Judge Amy Coney Barrett’s nomination. The vote was boycotted by the Democrats on the committee.
We expect polling places to be formalised settings where voters exercise their voting rights. But there are some unusual polling places.
Voter registration systems have experienced several malfunctions recently. There is a risk that this will continue to be the case as elections near.
Early voting is well-underway with millions of Americans turning up at polls. Early analysis shows a huge turnout by democrats.
There are worries over millions of votes not being counted if they are cast late. This has prompted millions of voters into early voting.
- In State After State, Voters Face Barriers to the Ballot Box
- Election Officials Prepare for Voter Intimidation Threat
- As voters cast their ballots, courts nationwide issue election security edicts
- Experts: Disinformation poses greatest threat to the election
- Hotels are taking on a new role during the pandemic: Polling locations
- All Americans abroad can use military post offices to mail ballots
- Pence, Harris Spar Over COVID-19 in Vice Presidential Debate
- Is Direct Democracy the Cure for What Ails the Nation?
- Election Grants Face Conservative Interference
- More States Are Using Ballot Drop Boxes. Why Are They So Controversial?
“People power, which democratized countries from South Korea and Poland in the 1980s to Georgia and Ukraine in the 2000s and Tunisia in 2010, has been on a losing streak”, perspective.
China has launched the 70th anniversary of the “liberation” of Tibet. Its envoys claim China aims to “liberate” Tibetan believers.
In recent months Belarusians have steadily asked Alexander Lukashenko to leave office. Their popular movement demonstrates how democratic renewal is done.
To address the political crisis after Lansana Conté, Guine adopted presidential term limits. Yet President Condé sought a third term in Sunday’s polls.
Increasing repression on journalists has “chilled” the media in Egypt. There are concerns over the recent arrest of the brother of a prominent journalist.
During the Covid outbreak might have moved the post-pandemic order closer to the authoritarian end, according to a new analysis.
Views of China have grown more negative in recent years across many advanced economies, and unfavorable opinion has soared over the past year, survey shows.
Cuban journalist Camila Acosta has learned from experience the tools in Cuba’s repressive play book. She has endured multiple instances of targeted abuse.
In a new low, Zimbabwe’s wants to make it a criminal offence for citizens to hold meetings with foreign governments without state approval.
Historical memory and national identity have been a point of contention and subject for manipulation since independence in Ukraine, report.
- ‘Memory Wars’: Overcoming polarization in Ukraine
- China Deep Dive: Western democracies ‘blind’ to Beijing’s global ambition
- From democratic regression to ‘third reverse wave’
- West rebukes China at U.N. rights forum
- Cameroon: “Dozens Arrested in Opposition Protest”
- Cameroon Police Break up Opposition Protests With Tear Gas, Water Cannon
- Is religion an antidote to populism or does it facilitate illiberal politics?
- Transition time: From democratic decay & breakdown to innovation & renewal?
- A ‘grand strategy’ for democratic resilience
- Mnangagwa Breathing Fire, Demanding Arrest of Exiled G40 Members ‘Peddling Lies’ About Zimbabwe