Lawyers on opposite sides in Florida felon voting rights suit can’t agree on how fast a judge should decide. This may affect 2020 primaries in Florida.
TOWARDS BETTER DEMOCRACY EVERYWHERE. FOUNDED 2011.
America’s undemocratic impulses are a key feature of the country’s much hailed democratic system. An interesting idea by Jamelle Bouie.
Of devices developed by lawmakers to overcome congressional gridlock, dynamic legislation has the most potential to combat legislative inertia, Prof. Kysar.
A new front has been opened in Georgia’s political airwaves battle in the announcement of new channel an opportunity for electoral reform for civil society.
Amid growing recognition of disparities in America’s justice system, this report highlights a critical but under-scrutinized problem.
Voting machine security has been topical since Russia’s 2016 meddling. An interesting article asks where we stand six months before New Hampshire Primary.
How to limit foreign meddling in US campaigns has been topical since 2016. The latest proposals on this front come from Brennan Center For Justice.
Trump’s administration releases the final version of a controversial rule that dramatically increases the government’s ability to reject green cards.
Common Cause has lauded the report on Russian interference into the 2016 elections by US Senate for its recommendations on the course of action to take.
GateHouse-Gannett merger combines the largest newspaper chains, an unprecedented conglomerate that consolidates news industry but may undermine democracy.
- Florida Felon Voting: Governor asks High Court to Rule
- DMV Errors in California Resulted in Six Voting Unduly
- Census Bureau Answers Major Voting Rights Dispute after Playing Coy
- Tackling Money in Politics: Prospects for Campaign Finance Reforms
- Analysis: High Voter Purge Rates Persist in the US
- Trump’s Epstein Conspiracy Theory Blasted by Democrats
- Scaramucci: GOP may need to replace Trump for 2020
- Mueller Report illustrated to ease reading for interested readers
- “Trump’s Opponents Want to Name His Big Donors. His Supporters Say It’s Harassment.”
- Senators pitch Trump on expanded gun background check bill
Hong Kong protest policing has not been the best due to police brutality. HWR has called on Hong Kong Police to exercise restraint in on-going protests.
Two academics think that the best way to curb China’s sharp power is through a transatlantic partnership between Europe and the United States of America.
Yascha Mounk argues that it is important to pay attention the sustainability of legitimacy when looking at the extent to which tyrants can survive.
Gone are the days when conspiracionists had to find evidence and contort it to convince people. Now, under the new conspiracism, just malevolence is needed.
President Macron will seek to persuade Putin next week to resume peace talks with Ukraine after its new president offered an olive branch.
There was an interesting article at Democracy Digest. Using India, it addresses attacks on democracy from the perspective of the personalisation of power..
Of foreign policy tools, supporting democracy abroad is one of the least costly and most effective contributions a country can make to resist bad actors.
On street liberalism, Gideon Rachman argues that events in Moscow and Hong Kong show how single-grievance protests can evolve into wider movements.
In recent Moscow democracy protests, thousands, in one of Russia’s largest demonstrations and new challenge to Putin, decry barring of independents in poll.
Chinese military vehicles have gathered in Shenzhen, a city located just 25 kilometers (15 miles) from the adjacent Hong Kong border.
- Videos show a massive procession of Chinese military vehicles gathering along the Hong Kong border as China mulls over its next move in response to protests
- “Eritrean Irony”: Youth Prefer Death at Sea to Freedoms Curtailed at Home
- Decriminalise South African Sex Work, Protect Women, End HIV Pandemic
- Digital tools + strategic nonviolent action strengthen capacity of Tibet movement
- Media Public Confidence and Democratic Governance in Africa
- Kremlin under siege: after 20 years in power, Putin ‘looks weaker than ever’
- Silent Invasion: China’s influence chills free speech
- The Violence Paradox
- Fighting Far-Right Violence and Hate Crimes
- Russia Protests: ‘This is the Erosion of the Regime.’