Trump withheld his tax reports for years but New York Times report Sunday paints grim picture of his fiscal activities that could hurt re-election bid.
TOWARDS BETTER DEMOCRACY EVERYWHERE. FOUNDED 2011.
The US Postal Service under Louis DeJoy has unrolled measures that have delayed mail voting nationwide. A third judge has ordered a stop to these measures.
Trump nominated Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court in replacement of the late Ruth B. Ginsburg aiming to solidify the 6-3 conservative majority.
Vote-by-mail programs date back to the Civil War. U.S. armed forces have long used the mail to cast their ballots from the front lines.
One of America’s most controversial presidential election was that of 2000. The race was ultimately decided by the Supreme Court.
Early voting has started yet some states are still in legal battles over balloting methods. This is leading to uncertainty which Trump is fanning.
America’s homeless have the right to vote like any other citizen. However, Covid-19 makes a difficult voting process for them even harder.
With just six weeks to November 2020 and despite the pandemic civil society organisations promoting voting are not giving up on getting people out to vote.
After slavery, disenfranchisement has been one of the greatest injustices to African Americans who have been blocked from voting throughout U.S. history.
Absentee ballots will dominate November’s vote. However, Americans abroad face major obstacles ensuring their vote is counted during the vote.
- Supreme Court is shorthanded but could play role in election
- 10 face masks you can wear to promote voting in the 2020 election
- Students Get Creative For National Voter Registration Day
- A Texas County Clerk’s Bold Crusade to Transform How We Vote
- Blind US voters sue over lack of accessible, mail-in ballots
- Election Day: Uber will offer discounted rides to polling locations
- Facebook launches poll worker recruitment push in the News Feed
- Barr casts doubt on mail-in voting
- Microsoft warns Russia, China and Iran targeting US election
- Trump tells his supporters to become poll watchers
China has ramped up repression of democracy protests in Hong Kong and of ethnic Uighurs. Western powers Friday called on China to stop these policies.
Cameroon opposition protests of September 22, 2020 to demand Paul Biya’s removal saw low turnout and dozens arrested including leading figures.
The de facto opposition leader of Cameroon, Maurice Kamto, called for nationwide anti-government protests on September 22, 2020. The Yaoundé regime met them with repression.
The relationship between state (meaning politics) and religion has long interested scholars. Renewed interest questions its impact of religion on populism.
The recent reversals in democratic values are a wakeup call. It is becoming more and more urgent to prevent further democratic decay and push for renewal.
Strengthening democracy is not done by withdrawing from the world. Democratic resilience needs the building of strong alliances worldwide.
President Mnangagwa is looking to have exiled members of the G40 arrested and returned to Zimbabwe to face what he calls justice.
Torture and extrajudicial killing, even if those concerned are suspected terrorists, go contrary to the rule of law vital to democracy.
Deep-fakes have changed the global information landscape, requiring more caution in how we treat information. They also inflict damage on democracy.
Recent constitutional amendments in Russia pave the way for Putin’s re-election but now-happening political upheavals cast a shadow over a 2024 bid for him.
- Will Putin make it to 2024?
- US Should Shun Autocrats, Re-Embrace Human Rights
- Ideology is Iranian regime’s raison d’être
- VOA Interview: Belarus Opposition Leader Tsikhanouskaya
- Belarus Revokes Accreditation of at Least 17 Journalists Covering Post-Election Turmoil
- 7 Countries Urge Zimbabwe to Allow Freedom of Opinion, Stop Corruption
- The terrible déjà vu of the Navalny poisoning
- Comedian Mocks Zimbabwe’s Government Despite Fear of Reprisal
- Tens of Thousands Rally in Belarus, Call for Lukashenko to Resign
- Belarus Removes Theater Director for Supporting Protests