New York has joined 18 other states in enacting legislation that automatically restores voting rights to those who served jail time.
TOWARDS BETTER DEMOCRACY EVERYWHERE. FOUNDED 2011.
Florida has passed a broad voter suppression law that changes rules for election observers in ways that could cause problems.
After his defeat in 2020 Trump hinted he would form a third party but this likelihood is fading as his influence over the GOP instead toughens.
America is viewed as the world’s premier representative democracy but the low number of members in Congress tells a different story.
In an Ohio town’s primary election on Tuesday, only a reprehensible 4.8 percent of registered voters participated in local decision-making.
Last week, Kansas passed new laws restricting mail-in voting, including prohibiting third parties from sending more than ten ballots.
H.R.1 proposed by the Democrats currently in the Senate is a sprawling legislation that could lead to several Supreme Court cases.
After the Jan 6 insurrection and recent state attempts to limit voter access, Congress must help restore trust in US democracy.
Over 2 in 3 Americans voted using methods the GOP is trying to restrict. This is a finding made by recently published census data.
- Vote-by-Mail Favored by Older, Affluent Voters, Census Finds
- Veterans group shifts focus from military voting to bigger election reforms
- Experts: Social Media Algorithms Threaten Democracy
- Lawmakers Debate Next Chapter Of Voting Rights Act
- Support For Voting Access Plunges Among Republicans: Poll
- Seven Utah County Cities Opt In To Ranked Voting Pilot
- Arkansas Republicans Move To Cut Early Voting
- FEC Explores Measures To Expose ‘Scam PACs’
- Biden White House Is Bad Business For Trump Lobbyists
- Biden-Linked Lobbyist Quintuples Revenue Since Election
Japan’s Diet is expected to pass a new piece of legislation that amends the national referendum law on constitutional reform.
Journalists in Yemen face a harsh reality and a real tragedy as a result of a lack of respect for their right to freedom of speech.
Protests in Colombia started April 28, 2021, over a tax reform. As they persist, security forces have resorted to violent repression.
Some of the worst dictators have strong supporters in Washington whose actions thwart Biden’s attempts to promote democracy.
Despite a strong police presence, thousands protested in Algiers on Friday during a weekly demonstration of the Hirak movement.
The repression against democracy protests in Myanmar continues. The country’s military junta has ramped up media arrests.
Salvador’s democracy is under scrutiny after lawmakers joined President Nayib Bukele to replace all judges on the Constitutional Court.
India has been reduced to begging for emergency aid during the pandemic after being declared world’s future economic power.
President Mahmoud Abbas has renounced Palestinian national reunification by canceling the country’s first elections in 15 years.
- The Terrible Cost Of Palestine’s Cancelled Elections
- France’s Double Standard On Democracy In Africa
- Malaysian Government Criminalizing Speech
- Malaysia: Artist Fahmi Reza in trouble for insulting queen
- Zimbabwe Civil Society Protests Bill Broadening President’s Power
- Slovenian Protesters Rally Against ‘Degradation Of Democracy’
- Would People in Mainland China Choose Democracy If They Could?
- Why Is China’s Xi Jinping So Afraid Of Hong Kong?
- Two Thai Democracy Activists Granted Bail By Court
- Myanmar’s Urban Poor Vow To Fight On For Democracy