Democracy Chronicles is very proud to announce that we are now a New York Times media partner! This year we are partnering to help promote the International New York Times Athens Democracy Forum taking place in Athens, Greece – the birthplace of Western democracy – on September 13-15. Keep posted here at Democracy Chronicles for more information on this partnership including how you can get discounted tickets to the event!
Coinciding with UN International Democracy Day, the Athens Democracy Forum will convene diplomats, scholars, corporate executives, politicians, government ministers, experts and journalists from around the world. Together, at the ancient Agora – the birthplace of democracy- we will explore the state of liberal democracies and the major challenges they face in the world today.
A Forum endorsed by United Nations Secretary General BAN Ki-moon
The Athens Democracy Forum is proud to have the endorsement of UN Secretary General BAN Ki-moon.
- Democracy & the Challenge of Money: Are the rich are getting richer and taking control of politics?
- Democracy & the Challenge of Islam: Is terrorism inherent in Islam?
- Democracy & the Challenge of China: Is Western liberal democracy the only way?
- Democracy & the Challenge of Charlie Hebdo: Are there limits to freedom of expression?
- Democracy & the Cyber Challenge: Limitless knowledge or existential threat?
- Democracy & the Challenge of Smugness: Has the West become too complacent?
Hear from a world-class roster of speakers and thought-leaders, including:
- Paul Krugman: Op-Ed Columnist, The New York Times
- Roger Cohen: Columnist, The New York Times
- Sir Richard Dearlove KCMG, OBE: Former Intelligence Officer, British Secret Intelligence Service
- Paula Dobriansky: Former US Under Secretary of State for Democracy and Global Affairs
- Kishore Mahbubani: Dean & Professor, National University of Singapore
- Valerie Plame: Writer, Member of the Global Zero Leadership Board & Former CIA Operative
An all-encompassing experience
To round out your Athens Democracy Forum experience, we invite you to participate in our selection of affiliated events, which includes:
- A panel discussion featuring the Prime Minister of Greece and New York Times columnist Roger Cohen
- A lecture on democracy, presented by the American School of Classical Studies
- An international student debating competition at the Old Athenian Parliament Building
- The Athens Democracy Awards
- A music concert at Herod Atticus Theatre, at the foot of the Acropolis
- Guided tours of The Ancient Agora, led by leading archaeologists
- A private audience with International New York Times political cartoonist, Patrick Chappatte
- City tours of Athens
Book your Athens Democracy Forum experience today
International New York Times is delighted to offer you special earlybird rates starting at €300 until June 30, and preferential rates for academic institutions, NGOs and charities. Visit athensdemocracyforum.com!